Middle Level Orchestra Festival
General Information - Tier 1
The Middle Level Orchestra Festival is open to school age student orchestras composed exclusively of students in grades 6 through 9. In 2022-2023, MNSOTA is pleased to offer three sites for Tier 1. (Sites with four or fewer groups on the deadline day will be cancelled and you will be assigned your second choice site.)
The application deadline for all sites is Friday, December 2, 2022.
Download the the rules and application forms in PDF below.
Dates & Locations for 2022-2023
Tuesday, February 21st, 2023 - Edina - Valley View Middle School - map
Tuesday, February 28th, 2023 - Collegeville - St. John's Preparatory School
Wednesday, March 1st, 2023 - Fergus Falls - Kennedy Secondary School
Festival Reminders for 2022-2023
• Three sites
• Orchestras with 9th grade students can perform at any site for Tier 2 consideration.
• Additional $120 participation fee for groups who advance to Tier 2 at Orchestra Hall
• Ticket fee for the Tier 2 concert will be announced at the conclusion of the Tier 1 festivals.
• Rating forms, judges' recordings (2) and performance recordings (1) will be given to directors at the conclusion of their clinic. Judges' and performance recordings may be sent electronically at the conclusion of the festival day.
• All participants MUST perform from legally acquired copies of the music, in compliance with the Copyright Law.
Policy: "Pop tunes and novelty pieces will not be considered appropriate literature." Download the document below for a definition and discussion of "novelty piece."
Tier 2 Information
DATE: Tuesday, April 4th, 2023 at Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis - map
All orchestras that qualify are eligible to participate in Tier 2. In order to qualify for Tier 2, orchestras must: apply for Tier 2 consideration; satisfy the grade requirements; and receive an overall "Superior with Distinction" rating from both judges at Tier 1.
The orchestras selected for the Tier 2 honor will:
• spend 80 minutes during the day on Monday, April 4th at Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis
• work with outstanding performer coaches
• perform selections from Tier 1 in a concert
• receive an ensemble trophy
• make memories that will inspire their musical growth for years to come
• be able to purchase CDs through their director
MNSOTA congratulates all orchestras that performed at the Tier 1 festivals in 2022 — we are thrilled that so many orchestras participated!
If you have questions, contact: Festival Coordinator Becky Plachy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download documents below for:
Preparation Pointers suggested by Brian Cole so your ensemble knows what to expect at Tier 1
Novelty Piece definition -- Novelty pieces are considered not appropriate literature for Festival